Did I Hear That Right?

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Dancing With The Stars

So I watched the first installment of the new season of Dancing With the Stars. Being a fan of ballroom dance, I think the exposure is great. I do, however, need to get a few things off my chest that bug me about the show:
1. The Italian judge, Bruno, has got to go. He seems to only give the highest marks to the women. I mentioned to my wife that I bet the men would get higher marks if they wore less clothes.
2. The studio audience. They think everyone should be given a 10 and boo when one of the judges gives constructive criticism. Has the 'self-esteem' mentality of our society now reached the point where we can't say anything negative to people, even if it would make them better at what they do, and therefore enhance their esteem?
3. The voting process. I think they should make the first few cuts based on the judges voting, like American Idol. That weeds out the really weak dancers. Last season, Master P was a total embarrassment, but he stayed on the show for weeks because of fan voting. This means that the voting has nothing to do with the actual ability of the dancers, only their popularity.
4. Cutting a dancer after only one dance. The first week, the men did a Cha Cha and the women did a Fox Trot. These are two completely different types of dance. One dancer may be better at the smooth dances (Fox Trot, Waltz) where another could excel at the Latin dances (Cha Cha, Salsa). The dancers should all have the opportunity to dance both styles to see if they really have potential before booting them.

Other than that, it's a fun show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home